I like to cook my brisket the day before I serve it. Then I slice it, wrap it tightly in foil, refrigerate the pan juices separately, and reheat them together at 325 degrees for about 20 minutes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1 3- to 4-pound beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 12 oz. jar chili sauce
- 1 cup red wine
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place sliced onions in the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- Lay the trimmed brisket on top of the onions.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix evenly over brisket.
- In a small bowl, stir together the chili sauce and red wine. Pour over brisket.
- Bake on the middle or lower rack of the preheated oven for 2-1/2 to 3 hours until the meat is cooked through.
- Take the meat out of the oven and allow to rest 15-20 minutes before cutting.
- Cut the brisket into thin slices against the grain; otherwise the meat will be tough and stringy.
- You can serve immediately or cover the brisket tightly with foil and reheat later.
This brisket also freezes well. Just wrap the sliced brisket very tightly in foil and then in a zip-top plastic bag. Place the pan juices in a separate plastic container. Thaw overnight in the fridge before re-heating.