Don't worry about the large amount of hot sauce in this recipe. The chicken won't be too spicy. It just adds a well-seasoned flavor to this recipe.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
marinating time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 50 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 1 3 lb.-chicken, cut up or 3 lbs. chicken parts
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- peanut oil, grapeseed oil or canola oil for frying
- Place chicken in a large non-reactive container. Whisk together buttermilk, salt and hot sauce. Pour over chicken.
- Cover the chicken and refrigerate 8-24 hours.
- Place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Dip chicken pieces in flour and set on baking rack. Let the chicken rest 15-20 minutes. This will help the coating adhere to the chicken when it's fried.
- Heat oil to a temperature of 350 degrees in a large cast iron skillet (compare prices) o. An electric skillet works well because it maintains the temperature of the oil.
- Fry the chicken 9-11 minutes on each side, until crispy and cooked through.
- Drain on paper towels.