Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic RecipeChicken with 40 cloves of garlic (Click here for larger image) is traditionally braised, but I think this Crockpot version of the 40 cloves of garlic chicken is easier.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. chicken pieces -- breasts, thighs, legs
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 stalks celery, washed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 40 cloves garlic, peeled (look for pre-peeled garlic cloves in the supermarket)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Spread flour out in a shallow dish. Dip chicken pieces in the flour, turning to coat both sides and shaking off the excess. Place in skillet.
- Cook 2 minutes on each side or until chicken is just browned. It does not have to be cooked through.
- Place celery in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with chicken pieces.
- Place garlic cloves all around the chicken. Top with the rosemary and thyme.
- Pour wine or chicken broth over the chicken. Cook on low 8 hours.
Note: if you are in a hurry, you can skip the first four steps. Just put the chicken in the slow cooker raw, without browning it first. It won't have a nice brown crust, but it will still be moist and tender.