Chicken ParmesanChicken parmesan is one of my kids' favorite dinners. Who can blame them? Boneless chicken breasts are coated in a light, crispy breading, sauteed in olive oil, then topped with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
Use homemade spaghetti sauce or your favorite brand from a jar.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings, chicken parmesan
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in an oven-safe (such as cast iron) skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cut chicken breasts in half to form easier-to-eat pieces. Pound chicken breasts to a thickness of 1/2-inch. Or buy thinly-sliced chicken breasts and skip this step.
- Place Panko in a shallow dish, spreading out in an even layer.
- Dip each chicken breast first in the egg whites, then in the Panko. Place in the heated oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Let chicken cook until golden, about 4 minutes. Flip. Season the other side with salt and pepper. Let chicken cook through, another 3-5 minutes.
- If the skillet isn't big enough, you may have to cook the chicken in batches. If so, return all the chicken pieces to the skillet when done.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce over chicken. Top with the cheeses.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is browned and bubbly.