Corned beef and cabbage is a favorite at our house, even when it isn't St. Patrick's Day. The hardest part about making this recipe is trimming the fat off the corned beef. If you can get the butcher at your supermarket to do it for you, this recipe will take you less than 10 minutes to prepare (not including cooking time in the slow cooker, of course)!
See also: St. Patrick's Day Recipes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 9 hours
Total Time: 9 hours, 10 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 2- to 3-pound corned beef brisket
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- zest of 1 orange
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coarse-grain or Dijon mustard
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 medium head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- Trim corned beef of excess fat (or have the butcher at your supermarket do this for you).
- Place sliced onions in the bottom of the Crockpot stoneware. Lay corned beef on top.
- Sprinkle orange zest and brown sugar over corned beef. Spread mustard over top. Pour juice over corned beef.
- Cover and cook corned beef on low 8 hours or high 4 hours.
- Add cabbage and stir to coat with pan juices. Cook another 1-2 hours.
Don't Miss: Slow Cooker Corned Beef with Beer