Macaroni and Cheese with SausageThis macaroni and cheese recipe gets added zip from Italian sausage. Serve this macaroni and cheese with green beans with garlic and lemon and Waldorf salad.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 16 oz. penne pasta (whole grain is okay)
- 1/2 lb. mild Italian sausage or turkey sausage
- 3 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut sausage into 1/2-inch pieces. Brown in a skillet. Set aside.
- Place milk in a microwave-safe container. Heat on high 90 seconds. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in flour. Cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Whisk in milk, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar and gruyere cheeses until melted.
- Pour pasta into cheese sauce. Add sausage. Mix well. Pour into prepared pan.
- Combine bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over macaroni and cheese. Bake 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
Macaroni and Cheese RecipesBaked Macaroni and Cheese
Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Macaroni and Cheese with a Hidden Vegetable
Mac and Cheese with Bacon
Passover Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Pasta RecipesPesto Pasta
Spaghetti and Meatballs
Kentucky Hot Brown Pasta