Don't Miss: Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni (whole wheat is okay)
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or American cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk in flour. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes, until flour is absorbed.
- Heat milk in the microwave 1 minute to warm. Do not let milk boil. Add to saucepan, stirring constantly with a whisk to make sure there aren't any lumps. Season with salt and pepper. Cook sauce over medium heat until thickened.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese to the sauce. Stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat, and fold macaroni into the cheese sauce. Serve, topped with the reserved shredded cheese.