Serve this macaroni and cheese with broccoli raisin salad.
Don't Miss: Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni (whole wheat is okay)
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 cup winter squash puree (fresh, frozen and thawed or baby food)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded colby cheese
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente. Drain.
- Heat milk in the microwave for 90 seconds on 50% power or until warm to the touch (not boiling). (Alternatively, heat milk in a small saucepan just until tiny bubbles form around the edges.) Set aside.
- Heat butter in a heavy, medium saucepan over medium heat, until melted.
- Whisk in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Season with salt. Add hot sauce.
- Add milk, stirring frequently, until thickened, 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk in squash. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add cheeses. Stir until melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Toss bread crumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake 20-35 minutes until bubbly and golden.
Don't Miss: Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese with Ham