Meatloaf CakeThis meatloaf cake makes a terrific birthday joke cake or April Fool's Day recipe for dinner. A basic meatloaf is baked in cake pans then "frosted" with mashed potatoes. Broccoli florets make attractive flowers on this meatloaf cake.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
- 3/4 cup ground pork or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 cups prepared mashed potatoes (refrigerated mashed potatoes or leftover mashed potatoes)
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes or broccoli florets
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add carrot, celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetable mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add ground beef, pork, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, oats, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix gently, until all ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Pat into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven 25-35 minutes, until the internal temperature of the meatloaves reaches 160 degrees. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare mashed potatoes according to package directions or reheat leftover garlic mashed potatoes.
- Assemble the cake: Invert one meatloaf onto a cake platter. Spread a layer of mashed potatoes over the top, as if frosting a cake.
Top with the other meatloaf. Frost the whole meatloaf cake with mashed potatoes.
- Decorate the top of the cake with cherry tomatoes or broccoli florets, as you would with icing roses.