Rice Casserole Recipe
This Mexican rice casserole recipe is an easy, inexpensive and healthy one-dish meal. Brown rice is the basis for this baked rice casserole. Kidney beans, green chiles, orange peppers and onions provide flavor to this Mexican rice casserole. I used Trader Joe's pre-cooked frozen pork al pastor to add meatiness to this one-dish meal. But you can also just shred leftover pork chops
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 cup long-grain brown basmati or jasmine rice
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped orange or red bell peppers
- 4 oz. chopped green chiles
- 1 cup shredded pre-cooked pork, such as Trader Joe's frozen pork al pastor
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Spray a covered 2-quart casserole dish or dutch oven (compare prices) with cooking spray. Place rice in dutch oven. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese. Pour boiling chicken broth over top. Cover, and bake 45 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- If liquid is absorbed, add 1/2 cup water to the rice casserole and stir. If there is plenty of liquid left, skip this step.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake another 15 minutes.