Easy Beef Stew Recipe
The long, slow cooking process makes the meat in this beef stew melt-in-your-mouth tender. This beef stew is really a meal in and of itself. Serve it for Sunday dinner with baked rice pudding
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours, 30 minutes
- 2-3 lbs. beef stew meat or chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 large Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 2-inch chunks
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups V-8 juice
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, toss beef with flour, making sure all sides of the beef cubes are coated, shaking off excess flour.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef to the skillet. Brown on all sides.
- Transfer beef to an oven-proof 5-quart dutch oven with a lid (an enameled cast iron dutch oven works best). Add carrots, celery, onions, potatoes, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Pour V-8 juice all over beef and vegetables.
- Stir. Cover and cook 5 hours.