Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 26 oz. jars spaghetti sauce or 6 cups homemade spaghetti sauce
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles, such as Ronzoni or Barilla
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large (12- or 14-inch) skillet over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and peppers. Saute several minutes until vegetables start to soften.
- Add zucchini and mushrooms. Saute 2-3 more minutes until the vegetables have released most of their water. Stir in spaghetti sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let the sauce simmer about 7-10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, eggs and asiago cheese together. Set aside.
- Spoon about 3/4 cup of the vegetable sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Top with four lasagna noodles, going crosswise. It's okay if they overlap. Top with 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, the Parmesan cheese and 1/3 of the sauce.
- Top with four more lasagna noodles, the remaining ricotta mixture, 1 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese and 1/3 of the sauce. Top with the remaining lasagna noodles and remaining spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella over the spaghetti sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake another 10-20 minutes until golden and bubbly. Let vegetable lasagna rest 15 minutes before cutting.
See also Pasta Casseroles.