These adorable Easter nests are simply Rice Krispies treats molded into the shape of birds' nests using a muffin tin. The treats are then topped with coconut, jelly beans and/or chocolate Easter eggs. Make these treats with the kids, and serve at your Easter egg hunt.
Don't Miss: Easter Desserts
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 16 Easter Rice Krispies Treats
- 1/4 tsp. water
- 2-4 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 10 oz. package (about 40) regular marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- miniature marshmallows
- jelly beans
- chocolate eggs
- Spray two regular size muffin tins or one large muffin tin with cooking spray (you will need 16 2-1/2-inch muffin cups.)
- In small bowl stir together water and green food coloring. Add coconut. Stir until coconut is tinted. Spread on a baking sheet to dry.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until they are completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Divide warm mixture into prepared muffin tins. Shape mixture into individual cups. Cool. Remove from pans.
- Fill cooled nests with coconut, marshmallows, jelly beans or chocolate eggs. These are best when eaten the same day.
- Tips for these Rice Krispies Treats:
- For best results, use fresh marshmallows. 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
- Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
- Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container.
- To freeze unfilled cups, place in single layer on wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to six weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before filling.
Don't Miss: Rice Crispy Treats Recipes for All Occasions