See also: How to Cook Eggs Every Way
Once you master the basic method for how to make scrambled eggs, you can vary it all sorts of different ways.
Here are some of my favorite ideas:
- Extra Cheesy Scrambled Eggs - Just before the eggs are done, sprinkle a mixture of cheddar, monterey jack and asiago cheeses on to the eggs. You'll need about 1/4 to 1/2 cup. Scramble the cheese in gently.
- Bacon and Onion Scrambled Eggs - Fry two slices of bacon until crisp. Drain all by 1 Tbsp. of the fat. Add 2 Tbsp. of chopped onions. Cook until the onions are soft, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour the scrambled eggs over the onions, and scramble gently. Crumble the bacon over the eggs just before serving.
- Spinach and Feta Scrambled Eggs - Thaw 1/4 cup of frozen spinach (squeezed very dry) for every two eggs you're using. Heat 1 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet. Add the spinach and cook 3-4 minutes. Add the scrambled eggs, and cook as directed. About 1 minute before the eggs are done, sprinkle 1/4 cup of crumbled feta cheese into the mix. Scramble until the eggs are done and the cheese is slightly melted.
- Mexican Scrambled Eggs - Make scrambled eggs as directed, adding 1 Tbsp. chopped green chiles or chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper, 1/4 cup diced tomatoes and 2 Tbsp. canned black beans, rinsed and drained to the eggs. Serve topped with tomato salsa.
- Ham and Cheese Scrambled Eggs - Just before eggs are done, add 1/2 cup chopped ham or Canadian bacon. Scramble it in. Top with 1 slice of American cheese. Turn the heat off, and let the residual heat from the eggs melt the cheese.
- Herb Scrambled Eggs - This is a great recipe to make when you have leftover fresh herbs from a recipe or an abundance of fresh herbs in your garden. It doesn't matter what herbs you choose - parsley, thyme, basil, chervil all work great. Finely chop 1/4 cup of fresh herbs (it can be a mixture or just one herb) and add to the raw scrambled eggs. Continue cooking as the basic recipe directs.
See also: Scrambled Eggs Video Recipe