Green Eggs and Ham RecipeSee also: Green Eggs and Ham Video Recipe | How to Boil an Egg
What better way to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday (March 2) than with green eggs and ham? These deviled eggs are mixed with chopped ham and topped with pesto in this fun interpretation of Dr. Seuss' most famous recipe. Kids will enjoy making this green eggs and ham recipe as much as eating it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 6 large or extra large eggs
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning (or creole seasoning)
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped ham
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp. prepared or homemade pesto
- Place eggs in a single layer in a medium saucepan. Cover with water by a depth of 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat immediately, and let eggs sit, covered, in water for 15 minutes (time it).
- Drain and run eggs under cold water. Tap each egg gently against the side of the pan to crack the shell. Peel under cold water.
- Slice eggs in half lengthwise. Scoop out yolks, and place in a small mixing bowl. Add mayonnaise, sugar, Old Bay seasoning and ham. Mix well. Taste, and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon egg yolk filling into egg white shells. Or spoon filling into a gallon-size plastic zipper-sealed bag, then cut off a sliver at the bottom tip. Pipe the filling through that hole into the egg white shells.
- Spoon pesto over top.