This oven-baked salmon recipe really appeals to kids, because the pistachio coating provides crunch, much like a fried fish. Once you learn how to cook salmon this way, you can vary the recipe many ways. For example, try this recipe with pecans or macadamia nuts instead of pistachios. Try different herbs (just about any will do - whatever is left in your garden or vegetable crisper). You can even substitute crushed saltines for the Panko in this easy and versatile recipe.
Don't Miss: Pecan Crusted Salmon Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 28 minutes
Yield: 4 servings, oven baked salmon
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
- 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 6 oz. salmon fillets, about 1-inch thick
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a pie plate or shallow dish, mix panko bread crumbs, pistachios and thyme. Pour buttermilk into another shallow dish, and set it next to the panko mixture.
- Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Dip the non-skin side of the salmon fillets in the buttermilk, then dip the salmon in the panko mixture. Lay the salmon in the baking dish, skin side down.
- Bake the salmon in the oven, 14-18 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily with a fork.