This French toast casserole relies on just a few simple ingredients, so the better-quality ingredients you can use, the better this recipe will taste. I like use a good-quality challah or Italian bread for this recipe and organic eggs. The best time to make this French toast dish is in the spring when strawberries are in season, because the homemade strawberry sauce is truly amazing.
If you want to make this recipe a little lighter, feel free to use 2% milk or low-fat milk.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 12 Servings
- For the Casserole:
- 1 loaf of day-old challah or Italian bread
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 oz. cream cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, divided
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 10 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk or half and half
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Strawberry Sauce:
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- Cut bread into cubes. Place half of the bread cubes in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- With an electric mixer, beat ricotta cheese, cream cheese and 2 Tbsp. of the powdered sugar until smooth. Spread over bread cubes. Top with sliced strawberries. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a blender, beat eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and remaining powdered sugar until smooth. Pour over casserole, making sure all of the bread cubes are coated.
- Cover and refrigerate casserole overnight.
- When ready to bake, bring the casserole to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 40-50 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking, make the strawberry sauce: Place the strawberries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the strawberry sauce simmer until it starts to thicken - it will take about 8-12 minutes. Transfer three-quarters of the strawberry sauce to a blender and puree until smooth (or use an immersion blender (compare prices) to puree three-quarters of the sauce). Return the pureed strawberry sauce to saucepan. Let it simmer until thick. Cut the French toast casserole into pieces and drizzle with the strawberry sauce.
See also: How to Make French Toast Video