Apple Crumble RecipeRecipe courtesy of Sunsweet Growers.
Tart Granny Smith apples combine with sweet honey and prune juice in this tasty apple crumble recipe. Serve this apple crumble warm, topped with vanilla ice cream.
- 1-1/2 cups Sunsweet® Prune Juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup quartered pitted prunes, such as Sunsweet
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Place prune juice in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Cook until reduced and thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in honey, cornstarch mixture, butter, cinnamon and cloves. Cook, stirring constantly, until very thick. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Stir apples and prunes into sauce mixture. Pour into 2-quart baking dish.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a medium bowl. Using your fingers, mix in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over apple-prune mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes until bubbly.