This strawberry shortcake recipe is a traditional, biscuit-style strawberry shortcake, but the biscuits are studded with mini chocolate chips. The best time to make this shortcake recipe is in the spring and early summer when fresh strawberries are in season.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Total Time: 36 minutes
Yield: 6-8 strawberry shortcakes
- 3 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Whipping Cream
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine sliced strawberries with 3 Tbsp. sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, remaining 3 Tbsp. of sugar and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Make a well in the center. Add half and half. Mix with a fork until a dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead a few times with your hands. Pat dough into a large circle, 3/4-inch thick. Use a 3" biscuit cutter to cut dough into circles. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Bake 12-16 minutes, until shortcakes are golden.
- While shortcakes are cooling, make whipped cream: Beat heavy cream and powdered sugar in a glass or stainless steel bowl until soft peaks form.
- Slice chocolate chip shortcakes in half. Spoon some of the strawberries onto half of the sliced biscuits. Top with whipped cream, then top with the remaining biscuit halves.