Green Beans with Bacon RecipeCooking fresh green beans has never been tastier than this green beans with bacon recipe. The fresh green beans are steamed, then tossed with crisp bacon and caramelized onions. I like to use haricot verts - slender Fresh green beans, which are slim and more tender than regular green beans for this recipe. But regular fresh green beans will work, too. Just extend the cooking time of your fresh green beans by 2-4 minutes if using regular green beans for this recipe.
Don't Miss: Vegetables for Kids
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. fresh haricots verts (French green beans) or regular fresh green beans
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Add onions to bacon drippings and cook over low heat, scraping up the browned bits, until onions are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, bring water and the 2 tsp. salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add green beans and boil for 2-3 minutes for haricots vert, 5-6 minutes for regular green beans, until crisp tender.
- While green beans are cooking, fill a large bowl with ice. Pour enough water over ice to fill bowl 3/4 of the way to the top. Set aside.
- Drain green beans, and transfer to the ice water bath to stop the cooking process and keep the green beans a nice green color.
- Drain the green beans and pat dry with a paper towel. Add green beans to the pan with the onions and toss well, so the green beans are coated with the bacon drippings and caramelized onions.
- Crumble bacon over green beans. Taste, and add salt and pepper, as needed.