Don't Miss: Best Meatloaf Recipes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 5 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup finely-diced onions
- 1/4 cup finely-diced carrots
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk or cream
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 1/2 lb. ground veal
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place a roasting rack (compare prices) in a roasting pan or on a baking sheet with sides (compare prices).
- Fry bacon until partially cooked. About half of the fat should be rendered from the bacon, but the bacon should still be soft and pliable, not crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 1 teaspoon of the bacon fat. Add the onions and carrots to the bacon drippings. Cook until soft. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, milk and Worcestershire sauce together. Add vegetables and remaining meatloaf ingredients. Shape mixture into a meatloaf. Place on prepared roasting rack.
- Top meatloaf with bacon slices. Roast meatloaf 50-65 minutes, until meatloaf is cooked to 160 degrees F, as measured on an instant-read thermometer. Let meatloaf rest 15-20 minutes before serving