One of my secrets for making salads more palatable to kids is to cut everything into bite-sized pieces. Truth be told, everybody prefers to eat a salad where the ingredients can be easily scooped with a fork, but it is especially important for kids who might find salad off-putting otherwise.
Feel free to use a hot chili powder instead of the mild, if your family likes spicy food.
Don't Miss: Best Taco Recipes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef (90% to 93% lean)
- 2 Tbsp. mild chili powder
- 16 oz. bag romaine lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or Mexican cheese blend; light is okay)
- For the Salad Dressing:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa
- 1 tsp. mild chili powder
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and chili powder. Drain well.
- Place the lettuce in a large serving bowl. Top with the seasoned ground beef. Layer on the black beans, tortilla chips, thawed corn and shredded cheese.
- Make the dressing: Mix the mayonnaise, salsa and chili powder together. Season with salt and pepper. Taste, and adjust seasonings. Drizzle the dressing over the taco salad.
See also: Easy Taco Salad Recipe