It's easy to learn how to make a smoothie. And once you master the basic technique (and a few helpful tricks), you can make smoothies any time you want.Don't Miss: Smoothie Recipe of the Day Ecourse - It's free!
- Choose the right tool for the job.
The tastiest smoothies are frosty, so you'll need to crush either frozen fruit or frozen ice. Choose a blender that can crush ice well, a professional-style blender, such as a Vita-Mix Blender (compare prices), a Blendtec blender (compare prices), or a food processor. While the food processor can be messy for pouring, it does puree smoothies beautifully.
I don't recommend an immersion blender for smoothies. It can do the job, but it'll take more time and effort than other tools.
Don't Miss: Before You Buy a Blendtec or Vitamix Blender
- Learn the basic recipe.
For a fruit smoothie, it's:
- 2-3 cups of frozen fruit
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups of liquid
- 1/2 cup of yogurt
Unlike a recipe for cookies or bread, smoothie recipes do not have to use exact measurements. These are just guidelines
Now, you don't have to use frozen fruit to make a smoothie. You can use fresh fruit and ice instead. This is a good alternative if you don't have a high-speed blender. Just know that your smoothies might be a bit more watery with fresh fruit and icy.
Don't Miss: Smoothie Recipes the Kids Will Love
- Make sure your fruit is cut into fairly small pieces. Frozen blueberries and raspberries tend to work well, no matter what type of equipment you're using.
Frozen pineapple, mango and strawberries can often be too big for regular blenders. You may have to cut them in half before putting them into your blender.
- Place the frozen fruit or ice into the container first. This helps ensure all of the fruit gets crushed.
- Pour the liquid right on top of the frozen ingredients. The liquid will help the fruit melt a bit, making it easier to puree. If you have a regular blender, you may need to add more liquid to help the fruit melt.
- Before pouring your smoothie, check to make sure all of your ingredients are completely pureed. You may need to stop the blender and stir the ingredients in order to puree everything completely.
- Try varying the ingredients in your smoothies to suit your tastes. If you want a sweet smoothie, use pineapple juice or orange juice for the liquid. Both have a relatively high sugar content. Something creamy? Try milk, soy milk, coconut milk or rice milk. Try using different flavored yogurts or combinations of fruit.
- Experiment with smoothies recipe add-ins for new tastes. Try coconut flakes, nuts, peanut butter, wheat germ, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, honey, and more!
What You Need
- A good blender or food processor.