The secret to making salads kids love? Chopping the lettuce very finely, so they can grab everything on one fork.
That makes it easier for everyone to eat, and somehow magically makes this oriental chicken salad more appealing to kids.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 8-12 oz. bag romaine lettuce or field greens
- 2 cups shredded leftover rotisserie chicken (or any cooked chicken breast)
- 1 15 oz. can mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 1/2 cup bottled Asian salad dressing or the recipe below
- Chinese Chicken Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. orange marmalade
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- Wash bagged lettuce and pat dry with paper towels. Chop finely into bite-size pieces. Transfer to a large salad bowl.
- Add chicken, mandarin oranges, almonds and chow mein noodles. Toss well.
- Pour bottled dressing over and toss. Or, whisk together all ingredients for the dressing, and toss well.