Homemade Gourmet Peanut Butter Sandwich RecipePeanut butter sandwiches can be as simple or as fancy as you like. The main attraction of these star peanut butter sandwiches is the homemade chocolate pretzel peanut butter.
If you were to buy this gourmet peanut butter from a specialty store, you'd have to pay $7 to $10 a jar. This recipe costs just pennies, and it takes less than 10 minutes to whip up.
These chocolate peanut butter star sandwiches make a great school lunch idea, or serve them for a kids' birthday tea party. The kids will love them!
- 2 cups honey roasted peanuts
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (such as Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate chips)
- 2-4 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1/3 cup broken pretzel pieces (not completely crushed; approximately 1/4-inch pieces)
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- Place the peanuts and chocolate chips in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade.
- Cover and process approximately 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down occasionally, until the mixture starts to become the texture of a thick paste.
- Scrape down sides. Slowly drizzle in the peanut oil, one tablespoon at a time, to give the peanut butter a chance to emulsify. Add only enough oil to make the peanut butter the consistency you like.
- Transfer the chocolate peanut butter to a bowl. Stir in the pretzel pieces.
- Spread two tablespoons of the chocolate pretzel peanut butter on one side of two slices of bread. Top with the remaining two slices of bread to make two sandwiches. Cut out using star cookie cutters.