Cornbread Salad Recipe
This cornbread salad recipe makes a great lunch or light dinner. I like toasting the cornbread for this cornbread salad recipe because it allows the cornbread to retain its shape a bit in the salad. But if you prefer having the cornbread crumbs mix through the salad, you can make this recipe without toasting the cornbread.
- 1 8.5 oz. package cornbread mix, plus ingredients to make cornbread or homemade cornbread
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, chopped into strips or bite-sized pieces
- 1 14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 6 slices bacon
- Prepare cornbread according to package directions.
- Toast cornbread (optional): Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut cornbread into 3/4-inch cubes. Spread cornbread cubes out on a baking sheet. Toast until crispy, 4-6 minutes.
- Layer half of the cornbread cubes in the bottom of a tall glass bowl. Top with half each of the shredded lettuce, black beans and cheddar cheese. Repeat layers.
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise and salsa together. Spread over top of the last layer of the cornbread salad. Refrigerate 2-24 hours.
- Just before serving, fry bacon until crisp. Sprinkle over cornbread salad.
Serve cornbread salad as is, and toss at the table.