Grilled Cheese SandwichGrilled cheese and tomato is a classic sandwich combination -- and for good reason. Plump, juicy tomatoes are the perfect complement to gooey melted cheese in this comforting grilled cheese sandwich recipe.
I have had the best results making grilled cheese sandwiches with my George Foreman grill. If you have one, use that. If not, you can make this grilled cheese sandwich recipe in a heavy skillet.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 4 slices sourdough, Italian or French bread
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 4 slices cheddar or American cheese
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat a George Foreman grill (compare prices) or heavy (such as cast iron) skillet over medium heat.
- If using a George Foreman grill, spray with nonstick cooking spray. If using a skillet, melt a teaspoon of butter in the skillet.
- Spread 3/4 tsp. of butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place cheese slices on two slices of bread, butter side down.
- Place tomato slices on top.
- Top with remaining slices of bread, butter side out.
- Transfer sandwiches to George Foreman grill or skillet. Cook until golden brown, 2-4 minutes in George Foreman. If using skillet, cook 1-3 minutes on first side, then flip and cook another 1-3 minutes until golden.