It's hard to find a good-tasting, healthy whole grain muffin at the bakery. So I created this recipe myself. Made with a mixture of whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour and natural bran, these whole grain chocolate chip muffins are healthy, but still taste great. I like to use dark chocolate chips (60% cacao or more) for these muffins (I think the Ghirardelli chocolate chips are nice, because they're nice and fat!), but feel free to use your favorite kind.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup natural bran
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk (low-fat is okay)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper cups or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, bran, baking powder, brown sugar and salt together. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, beat the oil, milk, honey and egg together thoroughly. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way with the muffin batter. Bake the muffins 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on top.