This pancakes recipe is light and fluffy, thanks to the addition of buttermilk to the batter. A sweet homemade blueberry syrup tops off these pancakes, making them a favorite with kids. Once you see how easy it is to make this pancake recipe from scratch, you will want to make these pancakes again and again.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- For Pancakes:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted, plus more for griddle
- Blueberry Syrup:
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Preheat an electric skillet (compare prices) to 350 degrees F. or heat a griddle or heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and melted butter. Whisk wet ingredients into dry, but don't overmix.
- Melt 1 teaspoon of butter on the griddle or skillet. Pour about 1/3 cup of the pancake batter for each pancake onto the skillet.
- Cook until bubbles form on the surface of the pancakes. Flip, and cook pancakes until golden brown on the other side.
- Make the blueberry syrup: Place blueberries, orange juice, sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Continue cooking until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and drizzle the blueberry syrup over the warm pancakes.