Don't Miss: Pancakes for All Occasions
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (low-fat or part-skim is okay)
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- 1-2 Tbsp. butter for the griddle
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla with a wire whisk until smooth. Whisk in the ricotta cheese and flour. Once incorporated, whisk in the melted butter until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites in the ricotta pancake batter gently, being careful not to overmix. It's okay if you see streaks of egg white in the batter.
- Preheat an electric skillet (compare prices) to 325 degrees F. Or heat a griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp. of butter to the skillet or enough to coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Spoon the batter onto the skillet, leaving at least 1 inch of space between pancakes. You may need to smooth out the batter with the back of the spoon - it will be very wet and thick. Let the pancakes cook for several minutes until bubbles start to form on top and the edges start to firm up. Then flip the pancakes with a spatula, and cook on the other side until golden brown on the bottom (you can peek by lifting up the pancakes with your spatula).
Hints: This pancake batter is wetter and heavier than the batter for most pancakes. That is as it should be. If the pancakes start to brown before being cooked through, reduce the temperature of your skillet or griddle.
Don't Miss: Bisquick Chocolate Chip Pancakes