Healthy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Unlike some healthy macaroni and cheese recipes, this one doesn't focus exclusively on cutting fat. Rather, this healthy macaroni and cheese recipe is all about adding nutrients and flavor. Blanched broccoli, whole grain macaroni and Greek yogurt add vitamins, minerals, protein and fiber to this healthy macaroni and cheese recipe. In fact, this mac and cheese makes a great meal all by itself.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings, macaroni and cheese
- 16 oz. whole grain macaroni or other short pasta
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook macaroni for 7 minutes. Add broccoli florets and continue cooking until pasta is al dente (firm to the bite) and broccoli is crisp tender, about 3 more minutes. Drain. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk in flour. Cook, stirring, for a few minutes, until flour is absorbed.
- Add the cayenne pepper and milk, stirring constantly with a whisk, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the Parmesan and all but 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese to the sauce. Stir until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat, and stir the macaroni and broccoli into the cheese sauce. Fold in the Greek yogurt.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Bake 20-30 minutes until bubbly.