This lobster mac and cheese recipe has "elegant" written all over it! Adapted from Ina Garten's recipe for mac and cheese with lobster, my version is a bit more streamlined (baked in a large casserole dish rather than individual ramekins) and less expensive (I use some less expensive cheeses). I like to make this lobster macaroni and cheese with Trader Joe's quattro formaggio Italian four cheese blend) or a combination of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 42 minutes
Total Time: 52 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 16 oz. cavatappi, macaroni or other short pasta
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 6 Tbsp. flour
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded Italian cheese blend (such as Trader Joe's quattro formaggio) or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb. cooked lobster meat
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook according to package directions for "al dente" (in other words, cook for the shortest time, such as 6 minutes if it says 6-8 minutes). Drain.
- Heat butter in a large pot over low heat. Add the flour, and whisk 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until the sauce becomes thick and smooth (the whisking is important, because it keeps the sauce from getting lumpy). Add the Italian cheese blend or the Monterey Jack cheese and the cheddar. Remove the sauce from the heat. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the pasta and lobster to the cheese sauce. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle parmesan and panko over the lobster mac and cheese.
- Bake lobster mac and cheese 25-35 minutes, until golden and bubbly.