Baked Mac and Cheese RecipeThis baked mac and cheese recipe is comfort food at its best. Three types of cheese give this baked macaroni and cheese many layers of flavor. And it only gets better with the addition of bacon. Can you say, "Yum?"
Don't Miss: Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni
- 8 slices center-cut bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere or monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions for "al dente." Drain.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, fry bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- Add onions and garlic to bacon drippings. Saute until soft, 3-5 minutes.
- Add butter to saucepan. Whisk in flour. Cook, whisking constantly, 1-2 minutes.
- Add half and half and milk, and cook until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cheddar and gruyere or monterey jack cheeses. Remove from heat when cheese melts completely. Toss the cheese sauce with the pasta. Crumble in bacon. Toss.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and fried onions over top. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes until top is golden.