Mac and Cheese with Hot DogsIf mac and cheese and hot dogs top your kids' lists of favorite foods, then they will love this mac and cheese recipe. It is ideal for picky eaters. Serve with a green salad and applesauce.
Don't Miss: Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni (whole wheat is okay)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 hot dogs, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. horseradish mustard
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 3-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions for "al dente." Drain.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy ovenproof pot or dutch oven, such as enameled cast iron pot.
- Add hot dog pieces and onions. Cook, stirring, until hot dogs are browned and onions are softened. Remove hot dogs to a plate. Set aside.
- Add butter to pot. When butter is melted, whisk in flour. Cook several minutes until flour turns golden brown.
- Whisk in milk, horseradish mustard, salt and pepper, stirring constantly until thickened and gently boiling.
- Stir in 3 cups of the cheese until melted. Remove from heat. Stir macaroni into the cheese sauce. Fold in the hot dogs.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top of the mac and cheese. Place mac and cheese in oven 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted.
Don't Miss: Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Spinach and Bacon