Macaroni and Cheese with Spinach and BaconThis macaroni and cheese recipe is a bit more sophisticated than the blue box version that so many kids are used to, but it's a great way to serve spinach to the kids (not to mention a great way for the parents to get away with serving mac and cheese at parties.
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni or cavatappi
- 4-5 slices bacon
- 1 12 oz. package spinach souffle
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook spinach souffle according to package directions. Toss with pasta in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and red peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, stirring constantly for a few minutes until mixture starts to turn a light golden brown. Add crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Whisk in milk, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens, but don't let it boil. When sauce is thick, stir in cheese. Remove from heat.
- Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and spinach, tossing to coat well. Crumble bacon over top just before serving.
Baked Mac and Cheese with Bacon
Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese
Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese with Ham
Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Macaroni and Cheese with Spinach and Bacon
Macaroni and Cheese with a Hidden Vegetable
Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs
Macaroni and Cheese with Sausage
Mac and Cheese with Bacon
Passover Macaroni and Cheese Recipe