This cherry pie recipe is made with frozen cherries, but you can use fresh or canned cherries instead, if you prefer. Just make sure the cherries are pitted and unsweetened - you don't want your pie to be cloying. Serve this cherry pie with whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings, cherry pie
- 2 frozen or refrigerated pie crusts, thawed (such as Pillsbury or Trader Joe's rolled frozen pie crust), thawed according to package directions
- 5 cups frozen pitted cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. turbinado or demerara sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Unfold one pie crust into a 9-inch pie pan.
- Place cherries, sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Cook, stirring, over medium-low heat until thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into prepared pie crust. Top with the other pie crust, crimping the edges to seal.
- Brush milk over the top crust, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake cherry pie 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake another 30 to 40 minutes until the top of the cherry pie is golden brown. Let the pie cool at least 1 hour before cutting.