If you like making your own crust, go for it. But there are plenty of decent pre-made crusts available. I like Trader Joe's frozen butter crust, as well as Wholly Wholesome's frozen deep dish pie crust for this pumpkin pie.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- Pumpkin Pie
- 15 oz. pumpkin puree
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. mace
- 1/8 tsp. ancho chili powder (optional)
- 1 9-inch frozen pie crust, thawed according to package directions (or refrigerated pie crust for 9-inch pie)
- Gingersnap Topping
- 25 gingersnap cookies
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Whisk pumpkin, eggs and cream together. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, mace and chili powder. Pour into prepared pie shell. Place pumpkin pie on a baking sheet on the center rack of the oven. Bake 30 minutes.
- Make topping: Place gingersnaps, pecans and brown sugar in a food processor, fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until the mixture turns into crumbs. Drizzle in melted butter, pulsing until crumbs get wet. Do not overmix.
- Remove pie from oven, and sprinkle topping over pie. Return pie to oven, and bake another 25-35 minutes, until the pumpkin pie is set, and the crust and topping are browned. Let pumpkin pie cool completely 1-2 hours before serving.
Don't Miss: Double Layer Pumpkin Pie