Recipe for Apple Pie
This recipe for apple pie is made with maple syrup, which really brings out the flavor of the apples. Cinnamon and sugar sprinkled in the crust keep this apple pie recipe from getting soggy. Mace is the secret spice that adds depth to this recipe for apple pie.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings, apple pie
- 3 lbs. apples (about 6 large apples, such as jonathan, jonagold, stayman, golden delicious)
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. mace
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 package refrigerated or frozen pie crusts (the kind you can roll out, such as Pillsbury or Trader Joe's frozen pie crust), thawed according to package directions if frozen
- 1 tsp. milk
- 1 tsp. demerara or turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Place in a large bowl. Toss apples with lemon juice, cornstarch and sea salt until you can't see any cornstarch.
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 teaspoons of the cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Set aside.
- Add remaining cinnamon, sugar, cloves, mace and maple syrup to apples. Mix well.
- Roll out one pie crust and transfer to a 9- or 9-1/2 inch pie plate. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture in the bottom of the pie crust. Fill pie crust with apple mixture. Top apple pie with other pie crust, cut slits in the top to let steam escape, and crimp edges. Or use aspic cutters (compare prices) to cut shapes out of the top crust, and place crust on top of the apple pie.
- Brush apple pie crust with milk and sprinkle demerara sugar on top.
- Bake apple pie on the floor of the oven or the lowest rack for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Transfer pie to lowest rack of the oven and bake another 30-40 minutes until the crust is golden and the apple juices are bubbly. If the edges of the crust brown too quickly, cover with foil.
- Cool the apple pie 1 hour before cutting.