Best Pumpkin Pie RecipeI realize that calling this the "best pumpkin pie recipe," is a bit audacious, even arrogant. Let me assure you, there is no arrogance intended. Perhaps instead of calling this the "best pumpkin pie," I should say it is the richest, most decadent pumpkin pie I make (and I make a lot of pumpkin pies). The richness comes from real cream (oh yeah baby). This pumpkin pie recipe also uses maple syrup, which tends to give it a deeper, more autumnal flavor in my book. Whatever you call it, this pumpkin pie is delish!
Don't Miss: Pumpkin Pie Recipes of All Kinds
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 18 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 33 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 9-inch deep dish frozen pie crust, thawed according to package directions
- 1-3/4 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- For Sour Cream Topping:
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line the pie crust with pie weights or with parchment paper. Fill pie crust with dried beans or uncooked rice to the top (you are partially baking the crust first to keep it crispy. The pie weights or beans keep the crust weighted down, so it doesn't puff up during baking). Bake the crust on the middle rack for 15 minutes. Remove crust, and turn oven temperature down to 350 degrees.
- While crust is baking, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, cream, milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a blender. Puree until smooth. Pour into prepared crust. Cover the edges of the crust with foil to prevent crust from burning.
- Bake 40-55 minutes, until the pie is firm around the edges, but still jiggly in the center. Remove from oven, and let cool 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare sour cream topping by beating together sour cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Pour over partially-cooled pumpkin pie, smoothing with a spatula. Return pumpkin pie to oven to bake for another 8 minutes.
- Remove pie, and let cool completely on a wire rack. Top with chopped walnuts. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Don't Miss: Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie Recipe