Don't Miss: Blueberry Dessert Recipes
Prep Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
refrigeration time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours, 50 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- For the Crusts:
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/s tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 5 Tbsp. cold water
- For the Blueberry Filling:
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen blueberries, do not thaw)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup sugar, depending on how sweet the blueberries are
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1-3 Tbsp. granulated sugar for topping
- Make the pie dough first: Mix flour, salt and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Cut or break butter into chunks. With your fingers, a pastry blender or two knives, crumble butter into the flour mixture until the mixture looks like big crumbs. Beat the egg yolk and water together. Add about half of this mixture to the crumbs, gently mixing until the dough just comes together. Do not overwork the dough or it will be tough! Add the remaining egg-and-water mixture if the dough is dry and crumbly, adding only enough to bring the dough together.
- Pat the dough into two disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- To make the blueberry pie: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Roll one dough disk out onto a lightly-floured surface to a circle about 14 inches in diameter and a thickness of about 1/4-inch or slightly thinner. Fold dough over the rolling pin and transfer to a 9-inch pie pan. Gently drape dough into the pie pan, letting the excess pie dough hang over the sides of the pie pan.
- Pour blueberry filling into the pie dough. Trim the edges of the dough, so that only about 1/2 inch remains around the edges.
- Roll out the other dough disk the same way as the first. Drape it over the top of the blueberry filling. Tuck the edges of the bottom crust over the top and crimp. Cut 3-4 slits in the top of the pie with a knife to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the blueberry pie on the center rack, 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Check the pie at around 30 minutes, turning it if necessary to make sure it isn't getting too brown too quickly.
- Important! Remove the pie from the oven and let cool on a wire rack 20-30 minutes.
Don't Miss: Blueberry Cornmeal Pancakes