Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
This coconut cream pie recipe is the perfect end to a spring or summer meal. With two kinds of coconut in this coconut cream pie -- coconut milk and flaked coconut -- this coconut cream pie really lives up to its name.
Yield: 8 servings of coconut cream pie
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, divided
- 1-3/4 cups canned coconut milk (not cream of coconut)
- 1-1/4 cups half and half
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 baked 9-inch pie crust
- 1 cup frozen whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread coconut out in an even layer on a cookie sheet. Toast 3 minutes. Stir, and continue toasting until coconut is browned. Watch carefully! Coconut can go from toasted to burned in seconds! Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, half and half, eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt over low heat until mixture thickens and starts to boil, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla and 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut. Pour into baked pie crust. Refrigerate until completely chilled, 2 hours.
- Garnish with whipped cream and remaining toasted coconut.