These popcorn balls are sweet and crunchy, the perfect marriage of salty and savory. They make a terrific snack or movie-watching treat (I like to serve them at sleepovers and kids birthday parties). For variety, try adding 3/4 cup of candy, such as M&Ms or Reese's pieces to the popcorn mix.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp. water
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- 10 cups popcorn
- 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
- vegetable shortening, so you can work easily with the popcorn balls
- 12 lollipop sticks
- Line a tray or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place marshmallows, water, butter and corn syrup in a large microwave-safe bowl, and heat on high for 1 minute. Remove, and stir. Return to the microwave to cook for 1 minute more. Stir until the marshmallows are dissolved. (Note: microwave oven temperatures vary. It may take more than 2 minutes for the marshmallows to melt or less.)
- Mix in the popcorn and powdered sugar until completely combined.
- Cover your hands generously with vegetable shortening. Take handfuls of the popcorn mixture, and form them into a ball shape. Continue until all of the mixture is used. This should make approximately 12 balls.
- Place a lollipop stick into each ball. Cover your hands well with vegetable shortening again, and scrunch the balls as tight as you can around the lollipop stick.
- Leave the popcorn balls on the parchment-lined tray to set.
Don't Miss: Whirley Pop Popcorn Popper Review