Don't worry about the beer in this recipe. All of the alcohol cooks out.
Be sure to check out my Pulled BBQ Chicken Recipe, too.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 hours
Total Time: 10 hours, 10 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. freshly-ground black pepper
- 2-3 lb. pork shoulder (Boston butt)
- 12 oz. beer (Guinness, Corona or your favorite beer)
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce, divided
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, salt, cumin, paprika and black pepper. Rub all over the pork. Place on top of the onions in the slow cooker.
- Pour the beer over the pork. Pour half of the barbecue sauce over the beer. Cover, and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 8 hours, until the pork shreds easily with two forks. Note: The cooking time will depend on the wattage of your slow cooker. Newer slow cookers tend to cook faster.
- Remove the pork from the slow cooker. Shred with two forks. Serve the pork as is, or on soft rolls topped with cole slaw and the extra barbecue sauce.