This apple cider bread is a perfect quick bread to make in the fall when apple cider is in season. Whole wheat flour and a bit of wheat germ lend a wholesome flavor to this quick bread. And orange peel adds a punch of citrus flavor that balances out the flavors of this apple bread beautifully. This bread also freezes quite well.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 3 T. tasted wheat germ
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup Grapeseed oil, such as Watkins
- 1 tsp. double-strength Vanilla, such as Watkins
- 1 cup shredded peeled tart apple
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 tsp. orange peel
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, egg white, cider, yogurt, oil and vanilla. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the apple, raisins and orange peel.
- Transfer to a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Don't Miss: Caramel Apple Pie Recipe