Similar to slow cooking, it basically steams everything in one pot. But instead of the flavors melding together like they do in Crockpot meals, this method maintains the separate integrity of each ingredient.
I've changed Yarnell's method a bit in this recipe by removing the cover at the end to allow the cheese to brown.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 14 oz. can diced tomates and green chilies (with the juice)
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a 5-quart enameled cast iron dutch oven with a lid (Compare Prices) with cooking spray.
- Put the rice, water and tomatoes in the dutch oven. Top with black beans, corn and chili powder. Stir, and cover.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Remove cover. Stir. Top with cheese and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until the cheese is browned and all the liquid is absorbed.