Most applesauce recipes call for boiling the apples. But in this applesauce recipe, the apples are roasted. It brings out the apples' natural sugars, caramelizing them as they cook. This apple sauce only needs a touch of honey to make it sweet and delicious.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 8-10 Granny Smith, Rome Beauty or Jonagold apples
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel and dice apples into 1-inch pieces. The more uniform the apple pieces are, the more evenly they'll cook.
- Toss apples with remaining ingredients. Spread out in an even layer on a sturdy baking sheet or shallow roasting pan.
- Roast 10 minutes. Stir. Roast another 5-15 minutes until apples are soft enough to mash lightly.
- Scrape apples into a dish, mashing lightly. Leave some chunks, if desired.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.