- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow pepper
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add carrots, onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add barley. Stir to coat with olive oil.
- Add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20-30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Per serving: 214 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 31 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 7 g protein, 115% vitamin A, 118% vitamin C, 3% calcium, 8% iron