Cauliflower gratin is one of the tastiest ways to enjoy cauliflower. Serve this cauliflower recipe with Italian meatloaf or baked cod.
- 1 large head of cauliflower (about 3 lbs.)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or coarsely-ground fresh bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Trim cauliflower and cut into florets.
- Steam cauliflower until tender, or place in a gallon-sized ziploc bag, punch a few holes in the bag and microwave for 1-3 minutes until tender.
- Heat butter in a medium saucepan (2-quart) over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, whisk in flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add milk, whisking constantly to make sure there are no lumps.
- Cook another 3-4 minutes, allowing sauce to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cauliflower in the prepared pan. Top with half of the cheese. Pour the white sauce (bechamel) over the cheese. Top with the remaining cheese and the bread crumbs.
- Bake, uncovered for 20-30 minutes until golden and bubbly.