This is a tasty recipe for St. Patrick's Day or anytime.
Don't Miss: St. Patrick's Day Green Recipes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups shredded cabbage (or kale)
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 2 slices pre-cooked bacon, warmed according to package directions and crumbled
- Peel and dice potatoes. Place in a large pot and cover with water by one inch. Bring to a boil, covered, over high heat.
- Remove cover, reduce heat to medium, and allow potatoes to cook 12-15 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Add two tablespoons of the butter and the half and half. Mash.
- Fold in the cabbage mixture and the bacon. Spoon into a serving dish, and make a well in the center of the colcannon. Fill with the remaining melted butter.
Don't Miss: Irish Stew Recipe