Recipe courtesy of Mealtime.org.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 8.25 oz. can no-salt mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice, warm
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup finely-crushed crisp rice cereal
- cooking spray for baking or oil for frying
- For the Dip:
- 2 4 oz. cans mixed fruit in juice, half drained
- 1/4 cup canned tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- Place the mixed vegetables, egg, garlic and Worcestershire sauce in a food processor or blender, and puree.
- Transfer to a bowl. Add rice, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. or heat a deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Scoop tablespoon-sized balls of the rice mixture and form into balls. Roll in the crushed crisp rice cereal.
- If baking, line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Spray with cooking spray. Place the balls on the sheet and spray generously with more cooking spray.
- Bake 15 minutes until lightly browned. Cool 3 minutes.
- Alternatively, fry in batches until crisp, about 1 minute.
- To make dip: Puree until smooth.
Serve rice balls with dip.
Per serving (4 rice balls with 3 Tbsp. dip): 170 calories, 4.5 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 45 mg cholesterol, 230 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein, 100% DV Vitamin A, 20% DV Vitamin C, 10% DV calcium, 20% DV iron
*DV is Daily Value